Engineer III Software
At Life Technologies – Ann Arbor, our mission is to cure cancer with genomic data. It is a close-knit, collaborative, cross-functional setting where we believe none of us is as smart as all of us and we each have something valuable to contribute toward our goal.
The Software Engineering team is tasked with applying industry best practices to the management of large amounts of complex data as well as the development of internal and external software products. We are looking to hire individuals with a wide breadth and profound depth of software development expertise to help us solve the next wave of technical challenges like natural language processing and seriously big data analysis. Ideally, this expertise will span the full development lifecycle, from requirements identification and prototyping, through design and implementation, to customer acceptance and delivery. Excellent candidates will welcome the challenge of working in a fast-paced, discovery-oriented environment and will be genuinely excited about the prospect of creatively exercising their problem solving skills on a continuous basis with an eye to ultimately improving the human condition.
- Provide technical support/consultation on complex projects and guide team through project initiation to project completion
- Use prior knowledge and experience to provide functional support and leadership to colleagues
- Responsible for initial design and development of new software and/or extensive software revisions. Define technical requirements and create high-level architectural specifications, ensuring feasibility, functionality, and integration with existing systems/platforms
- Demonstrate expertise in a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures. Rely on extensive experience and judgment to understand complex problems and resolve them efficiently
- Participate in training and orienting new software engineers as they join the team
- Manage the care and feeding of large and complex data stores serving multiple internal and external consumers
- Transition R & D reference bioinformatics methods/implementations into operational offerings
- Integrate third-party database, data transformation, and data visualization systems
- Design, build, and maintain internal tools to support data curation and ongoing research
- Maintain existing suite of customer-facing solutions including substantial system and database administration
- May be required to perform other related duties as required and/or assigned
- Office is a casual work environment, with open, collocated pairing. The general hours are a regular, 40-hour work week.
- This position is not eligible for relocation benefits.
EDUCATION: Masters and/or Ph.D degree and/or minimum 6 years work experience in related fields
Minimum Qualifications (must have)
- Desire to contribute your own unique perspective to our collective understanding of how we can cure cancer with genomic data
- Skilled in SQL and object-oriented programming (Java preferred, but Ruby, Python, C++, etc. considered) including common data structures
- Prior exposure to scripting languages (e.g. Perl, Bash), Linux, and web development
- Data storage and management expertise using a variety of traditional (Oracle, MySQL) and non-traditional technologies (MongoDB, CouchDB, Cassandra, Neo4j)
- Experience with data modeling, data integration, data analysis, data mining, database design, and ETL technologies
- Comfortable with or willing to learn a variety of system administration tasks (command-line interfaces, Linux, yum, CPAN, networking and firewalls, etc.)<
Preferred Qualifications (nice to have)
- Experience in natural language processing – Preferred, but not required.
- Experience interacting with semantic web ontologies (OWL, RDF) – Preferred, but not required.
- Experience working in an Agile or Scrum environment – Preferred, but not required.
- Experience working in a regulated environment – Preferred, but not required.
- Experience working with genomic or biomedical data – Preferred, but not required.
- Healthy appreciation of viral videos, web comics, and internet memes – Preferred, but not required.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Julia, Consultant Sales Analytics
Software Engineer Jobs
By being hired into one of our Software Engineer jobs at Life Technologies, you’ll be a key member of the Life Technologies team. Professionals in Software Engineer careers come from a variety of backgrounds, bringing an assortment of knowledge and skills to every area of our business. Please click on your desired Software Engineer job below to learn more about the exact qualifications.
A job in Software Engineer at Life Technologies may be waiting for you!